Multipurpose Workbench – Days 2 and 3

A LOT of progress has been made on the multipurpose workbench. It’s gone from the basic frame featured in Multipurpose Workbench Build – Day One to this: img_20190302_142924569I know, I know… I’m totally jumping ahead. Here’s how I got to this point.

After finishing the internal framing featured in day one, I cut 3/4-inch MDF to create the large storage shelf on the far side of the workbench. To keep saw dust out of the drawer compartment, I attached some scrap 1/4-inch plywood behind the table saw shelf.

Once I completed that step, it was time to cut the 3/4-inch MDF for the table saw shelf. As you can see, I had to cut notches in the back corners as well as on the front edge. I did this with a jig saw.

Since I took the time to carefully measure and cut the notches on the front edge of the MDF, framing up the top of the table saw area was a breeze. (Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of this completed step. Here’s what it looked like).

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.46.21 PM

Finally, time to cut the table top of the multipurpose workbench to fit. I did this with my handy Kreg Rip-Cut. I love this little tool. Once it’s properly calibrated, I can easily cut a width of material up to 24″ with my circular saw (no, I’m not sponsored by Kreg).

Now for the tricky part of this project, cutting out the top of the MDF for the table saw. After careful thought (as in calling my engineer husband to my workshop to help me brainstorm) on how best to complete this step, I (rather we) decided to use the circular saw with the Kreg Rip-Cut attachment. To cut the backside of the opening, I had to line-up and plunge the circular saw into the MDF to make the cut. So, I took a deep breath, made sure my saw was lined up with my guide lines and went for it. The side cuts were easy, nothing more than setting the Rip-Cut to the right width and making sure to not cut past my guide lines. No problems and it made nice, straight cuts. I did have to finish the corner cuts with a jig saw.

img_20190302_122934877

And here we are, days 2 and 3 are now complete. The project still has a couple of features to add before it’s finished. Next, I will build four drawers for the workbench and install a Kreg Universal Clamp Trak. We’re almost there… stay tuned!

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: